Tuning by fifths

waco@ari.net waco@ari.net
Tue, 04 Feb 1997 09:34:51 -0500

It is a mistake to attribute the "circle of fifths" method of tuning to J. Cree
Fisher, although his book is a classic, and has been around a long time, the
method of tuning by fifths is even older.  I'm not a pro, but I was taught by a
pro about 40 years ago.  The circle of fifths was the only method he used, and
it is the method I use.  I'm an ear tuner, and the method works well for me.

The advantages are that it is easy to remember, only octaves and fifths are
used, it is logical, with not a lot of jumping around and checks, and it can
give a good tuning.  But, like any other method, the better the ear, and the
greater the experience, the more satisfactory the results.

The disadvantage is that for a person without a reasonably good ear may have a
problem setting the fifths just right, and since there are no checks until all
12 notes and associated octaves are tuned, getting a temperament right can be a
long struggle.  In actual practice, I find that my temperament is right on the
first try about half the time, and correctable fairly quickly the rest of the
time.

The "circle of fifths" method is not to be confused with the "perfect fifth"
method.  With the "circle" method, fifths are slightly tempered and octaves are
perfect (within the constraints of the inharmonicity of the instrument).  With
the "perfect" method, fifths are perfect, and octaves are stretched.  The
"perfect fifth" method does not yield what we recognize as "equal" temperament,
the "circle of fifths" method does.

Frank Weston