Drop Action Summary

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Tue, 04 Feb 1997 08:47:30 -0500

Dear List,

Thanks for all the responses on drop action removal.  Let me try to summarize
what you submitted:

1)  For situations where the drop action just needs to be removed and replaced,
use newspaper over the ends of the keys to avoid having the drop stickers catch
on the key fingers.

2)  If action work is needed, and the drop stickers need to be held up and out
of the way while rotating the action in an action cradle, use piano wire, bungee
cords, long wood sticks, twine or string, coat hangers, chinese jump ropes, etc.
to tie up the drop stickers.  (The problem with some of these methods is that,
while the drop stickers are tied up, a lot of strain can be placed at the point
where the drop sticker attaches to the wip, thus having a negative effect on the
pinning.)

3)  For drop actions with a "guide rail" use spare damper heads attached at each
end of the "guide rail" to the end of the wire sticking up above the "guide
rail" to keep the "guide rail" in place.

4)  Sometimes it is necessary to remove the keys in order to get the drop action
out.

The response is pretty much what I expected, but not what I had hoped for.  It
is amazing to me that for the last 67 years there has not been developed a
proven, standard tool or device for holding drop stickers up and out of the way
during the servicing of drop actions.  Yes, many spinets are indeed PSOs.  But
they are somebody's piano, and that piano most likely brings music into that
home.  I'm not saying I love to work on spinet PSOs, but let's face it, the
hourly rate is still the same whether I'm at a Steinway B or a Betsy Ross.

Because spinets are so neglected, and many technicians won't do the necessary
work (for obvious reasons), there is a lot of potential work needed - that
somebody is going to profit on.

Maybe the solution is to heap 'em up and burn 'em to the ground!  But that's
not realistic.  Many folks are too sentimentally attached to their PSO, and some
are willing to pay the piper to have it repaired.

Thanks so much for your responses.

     John Piesik, RPT