Drop Action Removal

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Tue, 04 Feb 1997 16:25:48 -0700

At 01:35 PM 2/3/97 -0500, John wrote:

>     What is the most efficient method to remove drop actions?
>
>     I have used a chinese jump rope, weaving it in and out, to hold the

I took a leftover piece of the boxwood I had two key-level sticks made from,
which ended up a little over 5/16 " X 5/8",  and drilled a hole at each end
and inserted a brass hammershank sleeve for strength and appearance. A piece
of stringing braid run through the holes attaches to the end brackets. One
or two more pieces to support the centre can be tied to the hammer rail or a
bracket, then the action can be lifted out once the screws are removed.

It may not be the MOST efficient, but it works for me. The boxwood is fairly
strong and takes on a lovely patina after handling it for a while. The
stringing braid looks better than twine (it is after all, a piano part!),
which is why I use it. I keep the stick in a long cardboard mailing tube (or
you could use a ventilated piece of PVC pipe) to prevent it from being broken.

Is it worth going through all that trouble to make a simple tool? I think
so, since working with nice tools is one of the pleasures of our business
and if the customer appreciates it too, so much the better.  B-})

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com