Board of Education Pains

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Tue, 04 Feb 1997 18:45:41 -0600

james allen bickerton wrote:

> While attempting to expand my young piano tuning business, I did what
> I am sure a lot of you have done.  I attempted to crack the lucrative
> school system market.  My question is, have any
> of you experienced a similar situation, and how did you manage to "break
> in" through the glass barrier?
>                                              JIM
>                                              Starving Piano Tech
Jim, since we don't know the demographics of your town, I don't know for
certian, but I would question your statement that the school system
market is lucrative!  A school system certainly has lots of pianos to
tune, but in my area, there are several technicians willing to tune
schools for about half price.  (These tuners are not PTG members by the
way.)

If you really want to prospect the schools, find out the name of each
school music teacher and visit her/him on an off period.  The music
teacher is the only one who cares if the piano is tuned right anyway.
The administrators are often concerned with price, friendship and not
making waves, you know, the easy way out.

So now that you've cut your price and gotten a music teacher on your
side, I'll never forget my first school tuning.  A 40 year old Steinway
M that had spent it's entire life with the abuse expected of a high
school classroom with no maintenance other than annual tuning.  The
teacher was a doctoral candidate who really knew the keyboard.  My work
was scrutinized as closely as my college final tuning exam.  I felt more
pressure even than I did in school. . .at least I knew my college
instructor.

I still tune that piano and now, all the others in that district albeit
at about 2/3 of what I normally charge.

It will be interesting to read what experiences others on the list have
had with schools.

Regards,
Danny Moore