Cents formula

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Wed, 05 Feb 1997 21:12:12 -0600

Niklas E, Linkoping, Sweden   wrote

> You can always get the cent right away from the expression:
>
>     1200*(log(rel)/log(2))
>
> where 'rel' is in this case 1.01364326...
>

> Niklas E, Linkoping, Sweden

This is a very good formula.

I added an operation to it and so far it works.  I hope the terms are
correct.

To find the value in cents between any interval

1200*(log(F/f)/log(2)) =  cents (absolute value)

F = first frequency
f =  second frequency.

Below I have written it in calculator steps, and have been testing it.

F/f  = log / ( 2 log ) = * 1200 =   result in  cents.

=  means press the equal key

(  means press the  ( key

If one does f/F  the results are the same value but negative.

Sometimes the values are 99.998 something.   Close enough.

Next...  how would one solve for  f  or F  for any  value of cents     ?

Richard Moody