Perfect tuning

Östen Häggmark haggmark@mailbox.calypso.net
Fri, 07 Feb 1997 00:50:02 +0100

>I cannot imagine using strict equal temperament (whatever that really is,
>and: do we ever really, truly use it, anyway?), when I can choose not to.
>This is not to say that I radically change temperaments with each tuning,
>or that I subscribe to the wanton use of historical temperaments.

Horace,

No I'm not sorry I asked. I'm vainly trying to come up with some
intelligent questions to keep you talking.

A colleauge and friend, who is into serious concert work, sometimes says
that when listening to the concert, after he has tuned for it, he often
feels that the music "demanded" a different tuning and/or voicing (sorry,
forgot regulation). The point here would be that we should not only look at
beats and cents but also at the music.
But as you say, this is not apprentice work, and in this regard, I honestly
feel like an apprentice, lacking knowledge in literature and maybe tuning,
for that part. I get the impression you are a musician also?=20

I don't see the old fashioned in your opinion or why it should be in=
 minority?

Yours
=D6sten

"The most understandable thing about the universe, is that it is impossible
to understand"=20

        - Well Horace, Albert Einstein didn't say that, his opinion on that
matter was the opposite. Does that make my statement an anti-matter=
 statement?

       =20