Formulae

Niklas Eliasson e96nikel@isy.liu.se
Fri, 07 Feb 1997 14:59:19 +0100

Richard Moody wrote:

> We are at the point where the meaning of cents has to be nailed down.
> The definition is 100 cents between each semitone. 1200 cents in an octave.
>  If there are 100 cps between semitones, logic would assume 1 cent to
> equal
> 1 cps for this interval only.  If there were 50 cps  then 1 cent would
> equal .5 cps.

No, sorry!

A cent is also a logarithmic unit!!!! That means we logaritmically
divide an octave in 1200 parts. That is: one cent is

2^(1/1200)=1.00057778950655....

The reason why most of us use % as cents, is that it is a pretty
good approximation!!! And usually it is OK - but if we want to nail
down the definition, we have to do it.

I hope I have made more people even more confused...:)