Formulae

Niklas Eliasson e96nikel@isy.liu.se
Fri, 07 Feb 1997 19:16:09 +0100

Robert Scott wrote:

>   When Niklas says that  1 cent  is 1.00057778950655..., it means that
> if you want to offset E4 by 50 cents, you would have to multiply the
> usual frequency for E4 by  (1.00057778950655...) ^ 50.  But what we often
> do for convenience is multiply by  1 + (.00059463094) x 50  instead.  These two

> methods agree exactly at 100 cents, and are darn close for offsets less than
> 100 cents, but they become dramatically different for offsets higher than
> 100 cents.

No, they don't agree, and that is my point! But YES, it is a
good approximation, and for practice, it satifies our demands
on accuracy. Mathematically, though, those two are not equivalent..

Never mind, the point is to calculate with it, not to argue about
subtle facts.

Greetings,

Niklas E

Linkoping, Sweden