Hammer strike point

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Sun, 09 Feb 1997 11:18:34 -0500 (EST)

Warren:
  First of all good luck, you are in for a warm and fuzzy experience.
Secondly there are a number of way to determine the strike point. One way,
that I prefer, requires you to have access to the instrument.
 Using an old hammer as a start point, remove the adjoining,
shank/flange/hammer and replace it with a shank/flange that you will be
using. Cut the new shank to where it is long enough to allow movement, back
and forth, of a snugly reamed new hammer. (you will have to bend the
backcheck in such a way that it will still catch the hammer tail but not hit
the shank)
 Now with the action located where it needs to be, has to be in some
instances, you can try moving the hammer back and forth on the shank until
you find the  strike point that results in the best tone/presence/volume
combination.
  You can do this in as many locations as you desire, however normally  the
end hammers of each section will put you in the proper, or very close to,
position.
  Of course what you want to end up with is a straight hammer line, but in
some instruments liberties were taken with this (depends on the make).
  So Warren it is simple just put the samples exactly where they need to be,
install all the new hammers, tails shaped, sides tapered, filed and voiced,
and do it all in a short enough time where you will produce tons of income.
I'm sure that others will give you much better answers to your question but
this one works for me.
Have fun and put your notes in your computer in a file marked "DUH !", I have
:-)
Jim Bryant (FL)