tuning pin angles?

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Sun, 09 Feb 1997 20:15:21 -0500 (EST)

Newton and list;
  Referring back to the thread, within a thread,  of a few weeks back re:
angle of tuning pins. We discussed briefly the, proper?, angle of tuning
pins. Well I have a customer who is getting married in March and as part of
his wedding gift I am making him a cutting/carving block for his workshop.
(he makes violins and cellos)  I restrung a S&S 'D' for him and have kept the
old pinblock for various reasons, one of which is I'm using it to make the
cutting block.
  As long as I had the pinblock on the table saw I decided to slice through
several sections of tuning pin holes.  After cutting nine sections through a
single notes pin holes, and in various sections of the scale. I found that
the angle varies from 4.5 Degrees to 7.5 degrees, frequently within the same
note. It seemed to make no difference as to which note I checked the angle on
and likewise there is no pattern of change, i.e. first pin of the note one
angle, second pin different angle and so on.
  I don't know what to make of this information, thought I would throw it out
for what it is worth.  Possibly the fact to be derived from these
measurements is that 'some' positive angle is desired on tuning pins?
Jim Bryant (FL)