FREE FALLING FALLBOARD

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart@juno.com
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 09:20:46 -0500 (EST)

Regarding questions 2 and 3-
I have, on occasion, done extra work at no charge on a customer who
obviously was financially strapped.  But when one is simply unwilling to
be responsible with paying for service rendered, I would have no problem
suggesting they use another technician.  It isn't being "unfair" at all,
rather realizing that the technician is not responsible for the
presenting problem, and therefore if the client wants the technician to
do what s/he is trained to do, then compensation is justified.

3.  This last weekend I tuned a 9' Baldwin for a concert, spent more than
three hours at it, then asked the local PTG president if he'd come and
critique it for a free lunch.  Later in the afternoon I had another
tuning, a Wurlitzer which wasn't much of an instrument. I found that
after the stress of that concert tuning, and three hours at the local PTG
meeting, I could hardly do a good tuning. In fact I almost told the
client that I simply was not able to do an excellent tuning at that
moment.  However, the instrument was of such poor quality that a few
cents here-or-there wouldn't make much differenct.  However, another
tuner might listen to the tuning and conclude that I was incompetent. I
have had my tunings critiqued numerous times by nationally known
technicians and have been informed that I worry too  much about tiny
inconsistencies.

There are jerks and quacks in every trade, of course, but I think that
ours, given the clumsy means we have to make the finest of adjustments
nearly two hundred times in each tuning, is one that can be affected
greatly by our physical and emotional state.  I might do a wonderful
tuning one day, and the next find that same edge hard to duplicate.  40
cents is an inordinate amount of drop in a year.  On the other hand,
could the strings still be stretching?  That, of course can't be
determined immediately, only after a good tuning is done and some time
has elapsed to re-check the work.

My rule of thumb in considering the work of other tuners is to ask, "If I
had erred a similar amount, what would I like another technician to do if
he or she had to follow me?" I guess I am simply keenly aware of my
fallibility.

Leslie Bartlett