brass ??'s

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 18:19:48 -0500 (EST)

>List;
>  I was asked this question and because I don't feel competent to answer it
>thought I would post it so that someone who knows what they are talking
about
>will answer it. I have included the question and my response.
>-----------
>
>  "2. How did you reanneal the agraffes? Could hitting them with a propane
>     torch do the trick?"
>I used a propane torch, but the color the brass turns while heated plays a
>role.
> I feel confident enough to do a set myself but I am going to post a
question
>to the list re; reannealing and see if someone more competent will chime in
>with the correct procedure. (If there is no indication of cracking or
>splitting this procedure is probably unneeded.)
>Jim Bryant (FL)

Jim

Bill Balamut of the Twin Cities Chapter gave a class on this subject once,
and I believe he even wrote an article in the Journal some time back. Heating
the aggraffs with a propane torch, I believe, does not get them hot enough to
do the job you are looking for. I think Bill used a welder's torch to heat
the brass to a degree that it did any good. This is what I remembered. For
the correct information, give Bill a call, or look it up in a past Journal.

Wim