FREE FALL

EugeniaCar@aol.com EugeniaCar@aol.com
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 12:19:38 -0500 (EST)

In a message dated 97-02-12 11:11:21 EST, A440A@AOL.COM writes:

<< >   2.  When confronted with a piano requiring a pitch raise, and the
 > owner refuses to pay charges beyond a standard tuning fee, do you (a)
 > refuse to do the work, (b) tune the piano at current pitch  (c) spend
 > the extra time and do the job right for the standard fee?

Dear All,
Ed gives some very good advice. A plan enables us to deal with situations
many times before they arise. Almost always these situations arise with a new
customer. My approach is to deal with it as the initial appointment is being
set. I do my own appointment setting. For those of you who have the good
fortune to have someone else do yours, this approach may not work for you.
This method could work for the beginning as well as the experienced
technician.

The first question I ask is "How long has it been since the piano has been
serviced." Please note I use the word "serviced" and not the word "tuned."
(Thank you LaRoy!) This usually leads into a short, basic discussion of piano
service--what is working and what is not working on the piano now, how and by
whom the piano is used, etc. Only then do I discuss the tuning. This way I
start the educational process with them immediately -- that a piano needs
more than just tuning; a piano needs to be serviced. Having established the
groundwork, I can then give my basic fee. But I caution them that the
possibility exists that the piano may not be at pitch, and why, and what is
necessary to raise or lower it to pitch.

Most importantly I tell them up-front that if the piano is not at pitch, and
that I won't know if it is or isn't until I get to the piano, that the
probability exists that this first session will cost more. Very frankly, I
tell the customer  "I would rather tell you before we set up the appointment
that this possibility exists so you will not be surprised with an additional
cost when I get there." I can't remember a time when the customer was
displeased with this approach. Most of the time they thank me for being
straight forward with them.

Taking this thread one stitch further, when I first begain in this business I
didn't give any prices over the phone. Now, I don't hesitate. If a customer
is price shopping, it pleases me to tell them what my fees are. I am sure
they can always find someone cheaper....

Gina Carter