double strike problem

DMCKECH DMCKECH@ithaca.edu
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 15:44:29 -0400 (EDT)

Avery,

Just a quick thought regarding your repetition problem on the Hamgurg D. I
have found on occasion, that no matter how well I have reguated an action,
their will be a pianist who has a certain technique in pianissimo that will
initiate a double strike.  You did what I sometimes have to do; regulate
the piano to the pianist. Of course, minor regulation problems can cause
this.

If I know the pianist well enough I will gently inquire about there
technique. I believe the double strike will occur if they do not follow
through correctly with the stroke. With minimal let-off the jack and
repetition lever can create this problem if they do not follow through or
hesitate in the downward motion. This may explain why your problem was
solved with greater let-off.

Don McKechnie
Ithaca College
dmckech@ithaca.edu