Double strike problem

Lee Sankey LSankey@swbell.net
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 19:39:47 -0600

------------AB493AB5F0

Avery,

Just some idle thoughts. Have you checked the damper limit rail. I've
experienced a similar problem when the rail is too low and binding the
tail of the key.

Although I suspect Jim is right and that the let-off is the culprit. The
bass let-off should be set to the lowest point of the string excursion
envelope on a hard blow. If it too close the string will close the point
of let-off.  Is there sufficient amount of aftertouch and can you
observe the jack clearing the knuckle? Key dip in New York Steinways is
occasionally inconsistent and shallow. Is your pianist a "top player" or
a "through the key" player. Was he playing Bach or Bartok?

Lee Sankey
LSankey @swbell.net

------------AB493AB5F0

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>Avery,</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Just some idle thoughts. Have you checked the damper limit rail. I've
experienced a similar problem when the rail is too low and binding the
tail of the key.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Although I suspect Jim is right and that the let-off is the culprit.
The bass let-off should be set to the lowest point of the string excursion
envelope on a hard blow. If it too close the string will close the point
of let-off.&nbsp; Is there sufficient amount of aftertouch and can you
observe the jack clearing the knuckle? Key dip in New York Steinways is
occasionally inconsistent and shallow. Is your pianist a &quot;top player&quot;
or a &quot;through the key&quot; player. Was he playing Bach or Bartok?</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Lee Sankey</DT>

<DT>LSankey @swbell.net&nbsp;</DT>

</BODY>