FREE FALL

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 09:38:57 -0500 (EST)

>Taking this thread one stitch further, when I first begain in this business
>didn't give any prices over the phone. Now, I don't hesitate. If a customer
>is price shopping, it pleases me to tell them what my fees are. I am sure
>they can always find someone cheaper....
>
>Gina Carter

There are those in our business who don't want to give out tuning fees to
customer who  are price shopping. I disagree with that, and agree with Gina.
However, I give out my tuning fee not so that a customer can shop around, but
to answer her question. I shop around also, when I am looking for a service,
or product. The phone company even had advertisements for that some years
back. "let your fingers do the walking", meaning, don't walk all over town
looking for the best deals, call the business.

I have found that about one in every 3 people who call asking for my fee is
asking to see if she has the money to pay for my service. Most of the time,
after I tell the customer my fee, she says, "when can you come out?" Those
who are shopping around will take the lowest fee, and wind up with the
service that goes along with that lower fee.

There is another twist to this, however, something that was mentioned by
Brian DeTar, when he was in St. Louis this week for our chapter's meeting. He
said that he doesn't give out his "tuning fee". When a customer asks his
tuning fee, he asks when the piano was last serviced. The customer will
respond by saying it was tuned a year ago. He counters by repeating the
question, "yes, but when was it last "serviced". He gets a lot of customers
this way, and obviously makes more money.

Willem Blees RPT
St. Louis