Word Wrap

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 09:35:36 -0600

Oorebeek A. wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
> I have a question.
> Again it concerns the wordwrap to 70 characters.
> Recently, some colleagues have complained about this and
> I really do not know what to do about it.

Andre'
Don't worry about it!  The problem is with the mail reader used by the
recipient, IT ITS NOT ON YOUR END!!!

About 80% of the internet population is using Netscape Navigator 2.0 or
better.  I'm reading this on NN3.01 and it looks fine.  When I do get
mail that has long lines, I can go to the "View" menu and execute a
command called "Wrap Long Lines" and it fits the message to the screen.

We are dealing with plain text format here.  There are people reading
mail on 12" monitors at 640 x 480 resolution, there are people reading
mail on 21" monitors at 1280 x 1024 resolution and all combinations in
between.  It is up to the individual, his hardware and his software to
configure his system to his liking.

Mail readers like Eudora Pro, Netscape, MS-Internet Explorer all have
these capabilities, others do not.  The also have the capability to
customize the messages at the sending end.

Do you have the latest version of Claris?  Perhaps there is a more
current version than the one you are using.  I've never gone to Claris'
web site, if they are like Microsoft and Netscape, they have the updates
available for free download.

Maybe you would like to try Netscape for Macintosh on your machine, if
so, go to there web site
http://www.netscape.com/comprod/mirror/client_download.html
It's a free download for an evaluation copy.

Happy computing.

Danny Moore
Houston Chapter