Agraffes

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 11:09:45 -0500

     Dear List,

     I've spoken with a couple of metallurgists down here in San Diego
     regarding re-annealing brass agraffes. The general consensus is that
     the brass does not change its structure over time - unless, of course,
     it's been cooked and cooled (not normally the case for pianos).

     I was advised that any heat-treatment to agraffes would actually
     weaken them. In addition, before any annealing process could be
     properly performed, the exact composition of the metal would need to
     be known (i.e., copper to zinc ratio).

     I will not be able to replace the bridge agraffes on the 1917 Sohmer
     Cupid I will soon be restringing (they are not available). But now I'm
     confused as to whether or not the agraffes should be treated in any
     fashion at all. Maybe the old adage of "If it ain't broke, don't fix
     it" applies here?

     BTW, why do we replace agraffes IF they are not broken, not visibly
     fatigued, or not badly grooved - besides the fact that new ones look
     pretty? Why not just clean up the old ones?

     (Sorry, I have yet to dig out the old Journal articles on agraffes.)

     Regards,

     John Piesik, RPT