Stories (was Re: spinet repitition problems)

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 15:41:50 -0600

Horace,

   Don't ever apologize for stories like that. It's things like that that
make the kind of work we have chosen to do rewarding. Personally, that is,
not professionally.
   Actually, I wish you and others with stories to tell would write a book
about things that have happened to you in the course of your career(s). It
could be very interesting, rewarding, possibly informative, to read.
   Just my opinion, of course. Anyway, thanks for the story.

Avery

>On the other hand, (Story Time):
>
>Off and on, I had the great pleasure of tuning for Jorge Bolet, truly one
>of the great musicians/pianists - it's not his fault he wound up on
>Baldwins (sorry).
>
>He took some time dying of emphesyma, and during his bad spells, spent time
>in a "rest home" near where I lived.  I had not seen him in some time, and
>it came to pass that a friend asked if I would consider donating a tuning
>to this convalescent home for "some old guy".  It was a 7' Wurlitzer.  You
>can imagine the condition.  Well, I had given my promise, so I replaced
>some strings, fixed a few broken keys/dampers/you-name-it, did some tuning
>... in general, just tried to make it comfortable.  As I was packing up to
>leave, someone started to play Chopin Op.28.  I turned and saw Bolet.
>
>I tuned there several times after that, just doing what I could.  He always
>played.  Then he smoked and we drank coffee.  The last time I saw him, it
>was clearly to be the last time.  I worked.  We talked.  He played.  He
>played the Bach-Busoni Chaconne, the Chopin Op.28 (again) and few
>nocturnes, and ended (!) with the Lizst Tannh=E4user Overture transcription=
..
>I cried.  I almost am right now with the memory of it.
>
>Some time later, I was teaching at a convention - introducing some
>recordings I think to be representative of different styles of recorded
>piano, etc., one of Bolet's recordings figures there.  As I was doing this,
>Ben McKlveen told me that Bolet had died just days before.  I am quite
>afraid that it brought me to a complete stop for a bit.  I just put on a
>recording and let folks listen.
>
>I will never forget the faces of those folks in the hospital - most of them
>just waiting to die.  Wanting to die.  No one really caring.  And then,
>this music!  Yes, like the ruins of Rome, a mere glimpse (at times) of
>former glory.  Yet, at others, the full power and majesty of an artist at
>their peak of technical prowess and sensitivity of expression.  The
>inspiration reflected in the care-worn faces of the aged
>audience...everything ceased...the phones miraculously went on hold...pages
>were silenced...Time...ah, yes, time...stood still - NO, went back - and
>age no longer mattered...the final chords sounded, as they do for us
>all...but just one more time...just once more to be transported to such a
>place...by such inexpressively beautiful music...
>
>Best to all, and my apologies, if not contrition, to those who may have
>found the preceding altogether too wallowingly maudlin and sentimental.
>
>Horace

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston