Agraffes

Fri, 14 Feb 1997 16:46:34 -0800

John,

Your requested comments interspersed:

At 10:36 AM 2/14/97 -0500, you wrote:
>     Hello List,
>    =20
>     I finally dug out Journal articles on agraffes - Susan Graham and=20
>     Chris Robinson articles, mainly. However, I could find nothing=20
>     regarding annealing old brass agraffes.
>    =20

All well written and worth re reading.  I still use the tool I believe
Chris describes for retooling the i.d. of the holes.

>     So I called Bill Balamut in MN. He gave me the following procedure:
>    =20
>     1. Clean and polish the brass.
>     2. Silver solder any fractures.

This silver soldering is risky business, even for the initiated, when
dealing with old metal. I'd suggest practicing some on some junk parts that
you make breaks in to get the feel.

>     3. Heat pieces (propane will work for agraffes and smaller pieces, but=
=20
>     acetylene works best for brass rails) to not more than 800 degrees F.=
=20
>     Look for a "rainbow" color to develop in the brass (can't see it=20
>     unless it's polished) and work the flame over the entire piece=20
>     developing that "rainbow" color throughout.

I've mostly used either acetylene or MAPP, either with oxygen, give greater
control.  Also, re: polishing, be sure to remove any residue of
cleansing/polishing agents.

>     4. Quench in water or air cool - doesn't matter, according to Bill.
>     5. Don't apply too much heat for too long or you'll soften the brass=
=20
>     too much.
>    =20

Too much is easily acheived.  Most of the older brass parts had a higher
percentage of bronze, and were more self-lubricating and less brittle.

>  Thus, it seems that experience is the key in properly annealing=20
>     agraffes. Over do it and the brass ends up too soft.
>    =20

=DCbung macht dem Meister.

>     Bill Balamut said he'd anneal a set of old agraffes or an old brass=20
>     rail for anyone who would like this done at a reasonable price. His=20
>     number is (612) 788-5682 (he gave me permission to post his number).
>    =20
>     Reading the agraffe articles gave me the impression that agraffes do=
=20
>     not need to be replaced just because they are old. There are good=20
>     restoration methods available. The variations in agraffes - from many=
=20
>     years ago to what's available today - often suggest that it would be=
=20
>     better to retain the original when at all possible.
>    =20
>     Comments?
>    =20

Even if a "replacement" is available, the quality is usually pretty sad.
Be a Mensch!  Make friends with a machinist!!

Best.

Horace

Horace Greeley

Ars langa, Vita brevis