Verdigris

Maxpiano@aol.com Maxpiano@aol.com
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 16:12:30 -0500 (EST)

List -

If I am asking a question that was handled in posts before I joined several
months ago, be kind enought to point me to the proper archives.

My experience has been that solvents and even repinning provide no permanent
cure for verdigris because of a chemical present in the bushing.  If I were
dealing with a Steinway, I would replace the parts wholesale.  The instrument
in question is a fine old Laffargue upright that I have treated on two
occasions with flange shrinking solution, and the wippen and jack flanges are
still very sluggish.  Closer inspection on the last visit showed verdigris in
the jack flanges, but I could not detect any in the wippen/tongue  flanges.

My proposal, which the customer has accepted, is to rebush the jack flanges,
and repin the wippen and tongue flanges.  (The hammer centers have freed up
acceptably).  My question is, with new bushings, is there enough of the ph
imbalance in the surrounding material (or dragged by the pin through the eye)
to cause a return of the problem down the road?

Bill Maxim, RPT