I was weak & agreed to tune a birdcage...

MHoffman11@aol.com MHoffman11@aol.com
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 20:46:34 -0500 (EST)

Hello Birdcage experts!

In a fit of insanity, I agreed to tune a birdcage for a regular customer.  He
also has a nice 1920's Bechstein grand; that was the bait to get me to tune
the beastie.

It's a W. Gutzweit, #6276 made in Berlin, 85-note affair.  It pulled right up
to A440, but one question I have is:  HOW THE HELL DO YOU GET THE &%#$@
ACTION OUT?  I consider myself competent in technical abilities; or at least
did until I met this monster and tried to tighten the whippen screws.  I
removed the damper rail so that I could tune it...no problem with that.  The
rest of the action has the wooden brackets (one on each end).  These are
secured on the top by a flip latch and by a screw under the keybed.   I
removed the screw, and the brackets loosened only slightly.  There seems to
be a dowel or pin still holding it tight.  I tried lifting, pushing forward,
pushing back, etc., to no avail.  Does anyone (Barrie,  Andre or perhaps a
few smart, helpful  Germans that will stop laughing long enough to help?!)
 know anything about these creatures?

The other "problem"  I found is that there are NO front rail felt punchings.
 Is this a normal condition for old, German pianos??!!  Curiously, there is
no knocking sound while it's being played.  Go figure.  There are really
thin, almost paper-thin balance rail felts, though.

So stop giggling out there and send me some help.  I promise that I will
never again agree to tune a birdcage, no matter how much they pay me!

Stay tuned & best wishes,

Mike Hoffman, RPT
Marquette, MI