SAT question

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 19:36:21 -0800

Ryan, Philip wrote:

> Dear list:
>
> I have a teacher that is setting up a piano studio with two pianos and
> wants them tuned alike (together).  No problem ( I thought), I'll just
> use my SAT and tune them individually as the manual says.  But here
> comes the rub, one piano is a Steinway grand and the other a
> Acrosonic.  Which FAC tuning page should I use?- the Steinway?  the
> Acrosonic?  the Steinway on both?  individual FAC's?
> Will different tunings make the pianos sound alike?  Any advice?
>
> Phil

Phil,

Make sure the A is at 440 and tune them to their own SAT scales.  The
middles will be close enough between A2 and F5 to not be a problem.  The
ends of the Accrosonic won't be strong enough to dominate the grand and
that is where the big differences are.  There's at least a ten cent
difference at A0.  Explain to the customer that the two pianos are too
different to be completely matched up.  One or the other will sound bad
if played by itself!  Tell her that you can match the middles up good
but not the ends.

You're the expert, tell her the way it is!

Good Hunting!

Warren
--
Warren D. Fisher