Fallboard Locks

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 20:43:16 -0800

jpiesik@arinc.com wrote:

>      List,
>
>      What's a good piano lock for institutional pianos?
>      Is the Jaras fallboard lock any good?
>
>      Many thanks once again!!
>
>      John Piesik, RPT

John, I've been using APSCO'S strap steel lock with the canvas
covering.  The monsters do bend them occasionally, but a good whack with
a rubber hammer will fix it.  I was able to design a (so far) loss proof
modification that keeps the clamp with the piano.  I drill a
quarter-inch hole in the clamp just past the slot that receives the lock
eye and have a welder attach a two-foot length of light chain, and then
I screw the other end of the chain just behind the nearest leg.  When
they remove the clamp, they have two choices; the lid of the piano or
the floor.  On performance pianos, I screw in 3" L screws under the
keybed to hold the clamp up snug and mostly out of sight.  I have nine
out there still (as far as I know) doing their job!  My welder gives me
a discount if he does 5-10 at a time.

One of the problems with all these locks, is that they have to be used
only with fallboards that are flat.  The sloped falls, like those on
Baldwin studios and some of their consoles, don't fit closely enough to
prevent opening by a determined miscreant.  If you get a package of
hardwood wedges (available at all hardware stores) usually two glued and
braded under the keybed will change the angle enough to make the clamp
snug on top of the fallboard.

Have fun!

Warren

--