Jim-Virgil Tune-Off Revisited

Leslie W Bartlett lesbart@juno.com
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 22:49:32 -0500 (EST)

Dear Jim:

Thanks for a lengthy and intelligent reply to Danny's question.

Virgil Smith was a professor of mine long before I knew anything about
PTG.  At that time he was worshipped in Chicago as a tuner.  Robert
Carbaugh, a fellow instructor at MBI was my first introduction to tuning,
then, finishing with Jim Geiger some twenty five years later, I learned
"Virgil Smith doesn't know what he's talking about."

Attending Virgil's class in Alb. a couple of years ago, he opened up
with, "In deference to Jim Geiger, who is a fine tuner, he doesn't know
what he's talking about."

As a relatively inexperienced tuner, like Danny Moore, and one who hasn't
formed a great number of opinions, except that there are a lot of
opinions, this experience noted in the PTG mag. with you two, and your
further explanation has been exciting.

Thanks again.

Leslie Bartlett M. Mus
Houston Chapter PTG