SAT question

jpiesik@arinc.com jpiesik@arinc.com
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 08:12:54 -0500

--IMA.Boundary.259963658

Phil,

I'd have to agree with Warren.  What good is either piano out of tune (i.e.,
tuning the Steinway exactly like the Acro or the Acro exactly like the
Steinway)?  Like someone said, one is a mule the other is a race horse - there
simply is no equivalence.  Be certain both are dead on the "same" A440, and tune
from there, each piano individually.  They'll be close in the center, and the
extremes, oh well.  At least when each is played individually, they'll sound
their best.  And when they're played together, well, they shouldn't be!

By the way, why not carefully measure FAC for each instead of using pre-canned
pages in memory?  You might get a little better results.

What do you do when the customer wants the piano tuned to the organ?  I
determine "A440" at the organ, and tune the piano using that A.  (At least
that's what I do, maybe I'm wrong.)

Whatever you do, act like the expert, and you'll be the expert!

Best regards,

John Piesik, RPT

Dear list:

I have a teacher that is setting up a piano studio with two pianos and
wants them tuned alike (together).  No problem ( I thought), I'll just
use my SAT and tune them individually as the manual says.  But here
comes the rub, one piano is a Steinway grand and the other a Acrosonic.
Which FAC tuning page should I use?- the Steinway?  the Acrosonic?  the
Steinway on both?  individual FAC's?
Will different tunings make the pianos sound alike?  Any advice?

Phil
--IMA.Boundary.259963658

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>Dear list:</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>I have a teacher that is setting up a piano studio with two pianos
and wants them tuned alike (together).&nbsp; No problem ( I thought), I'll
just use my SAT and tune them individually as the manual says.&nbsp; But
here comes the rub, one piano is a Steinway grand and the other a
Acrosonic.&nbsp;
Which FAC tuning page should I use?- the Steinway?&nbsp; the Acrosonic?&nbsp;
the Steinway on both?&nbsp; individual FAC's?</DT>

<DT>Will different tunings make the pianos sound alike?&nbsp; Any advice?</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Phil</DT>

</BODY>
</HTML>