SAT question

EugeniaCar@aol.com EugeniaCar@aol.com
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 16:45:21 -0500 (EST)

Phil,
I do agree with Ken, Warren and John. Tune each piano to itself at a solid
A440. I have tried all methods--using the Steinway or whatever the "best"
instrument is tuning for both, averaging the FAC readings from both, etc. For
me, the best results occur from both pianos being tuned to themselves. As
recently as this Monday I had a similar situation---a 9' Bosey and a D for a
concert. I just tuned each solidly at A440. Both pianists were pleased with
the results.

I have yet to experience any two pianos that will match up exactly, even two
of the same brand. The differences will always be there. When they are
played, the audience is not listening to the tuning, they are listening to
the music. It's very similar to a section in an orchestra--many instruments
tuned alike yet each is different in its own way but the cumulative effect is
pleasing to the ear.

John, you asked: <<What do you do when the customer wants the piano tuned to
the organ?>>

This one is a little more awkward. It depends..... First, if I don't already
service this church I will try to determine somewhat the humidity and
heating/cooling situations. Next, how frequently do they have the organ
tuned. Then I remind them that organs vary due to environmental factors just
as pianos do. Is the request for general purposes or is it for a specific
service requirement? Depending on the church's answers to these questions,
plus some more I've probably left out, only then will I have enough
information to explain their options of tuning the piano to A440 or to the
organ's A, where ever it is. Then I do whichever they want done. It is their
decision.

Gina Carter