Fallboard Locks (HG)

Danny Moore danmoore@ih2000.net
Thu, 20 Feb 1997 15:45:23 -0600

Keith A. McGavern wrote:
> Point of clarification: Do I understand you correctly?  Are you saying to
> Pianotech's 350 + subscribers, if you don't like it (modicum of erudition
> and levity), delete it, because we are going to keep on doing what we want
> to do?
> Keith A. McGavern

Keith,
Perhaps I should keep my mouth shut and let Horace verbally duke it out
with all comers. . .He certainly seems to do that well.

It should be obvious that, if each subscriber decides to post the funny
thing that happened on the way to her third tuning today, there would be
no room left for the real issues the list was originally established
for.  Less obvious, but equally true is the fact that what is offensive
to some may not be offensive to others.  There are frequently poems,
stories, jokes, etc. posted for general view that don't seem to meet
with general diaspproval, probably because no one takes offense at
them.  Other times, as in this case, some take issue with the irrelevant
post.

The real issue seems to be:  Do we establish a set of rules and
guidelines for the list, including some method of enforcement, such as
removing an offender from the list, or do we rely on the judgement of
the subscribers to post relevant (and irrelevant) material as the
individual may find appropriate.

My OPINION (yes, opinion) is that we should allow the list to police
itself.  The subscribers seem to be a thoughtful, educated, intelligent
lot willing to respect the feelings of others.  It seems to me that
Horace's quip about 1st Amendment rights was a tounge-in-cheek request
that we (others on the list) extend him the same courtesy he extends us
when he receives posts he is not interested in.

Perhaps I am merely defending Horace's right to be wrong, or perhaps we
all need to learn a little more tolerance and a little more restraint.
In any case, the reality is that there are many subscribers who share
friendship and deep personal relationships.  It is to be expected that
conversation will drift, hopefully we will be able to keep it under
control without damaging relationships we have not yet made.

I apologize for this excessive use of bandwith that is so far off the
subject of repairing pianos, however, this is an issue that must be
addressed if the list is to continue its success and service to the
membership.

Danny Moore
Houston Chapter