Tech hints

Ron Torrella torrella@umich.edu
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 12:52:26 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Vanderhoofven wrote:

> I have found that the temperature of the water surrounding the glass jar
> containing the glue is NOT the temperature of the glue itself.  Even if the
> water is between 135 and 145 Fahrenheit, the glue only gets to about 120
> Fahrenheit.  That is why I was having trouble with the hot hide glue,
> because the glue was not getting hot enough!  Of course, when finances
> permit, I intend to get a real glue pot, then I won't have to mess with all
> of this!

Have you considered making less glue (less mass) or at least having a
transfer jar into which you can put a small amount of useable glue for
whatever it is you're gluing?  I wonder if less mass will be able to
get/stay hotter...just a thought.

			     Ron Torrella, RPT
			Assistant Piano Technician
			  University of Michigan