Tech hints

SGrossner@aol.com SGrossner@aol.com
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 15:39:38 -0500 (EST)

<< 1.  When replacing a broken upright hammer shank, many of us probably try
 extract the broken off shank stub instead of redrilling the hole (and
 possibly getting the angle wrong).  I followed the instructions that Fern
 Henry and Bill Spurlock have written in the PTG Technical Exam Source Book,
 involving drilling a hole down the center of the shank stub, soaking the
 shank with a wetting solution, and then using a 1 1/2" drywall screw to
 extract the broken off shank. >>

I have just used a coffee can with a hole poked in aluminum foil on the stove
top to steam out the shank. Works almost all the time. This sounds like a
good move too. I assume you are talking wallpaper remover.  Regards, Sam