Tech hints

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 11:09:10 -0700

At 03:39 PM 2/21/97 -0500, Sam G. wrote:

>I instinctively know hot glue is the way to go in many instances, but have
>good luck with titebond. Anyone know why hot glue is worth the trouble?

Hide glue has musical and strength properties that are well-known to musical
instrument builders. For example, it's strong enough to take the strain of
steel strings on a guitar bridge, while retaining the ability to be easily
removed. All the luthiers I talk to also say that it transfers energy more
efficiently, but I have no data on that.

>Titebond does come apart when hanging hammers with agood extractor.

I'm curious if anyone has done any definitive work on the musical properties
of hide glue over Titebond. My own preference would be hot hide, merely
because it's organic and IMO other than necessary metal parts all musical
instruments should be made from organic materials.  B-})

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com