signature on key

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:16:27 -0600

At 09:38 AM 2/24/97 -0500, you wrote:
>out).  On the inside of the bottom "A" key, is the signature of H. Moss,
>and the date Jan 23/92.
>
>Was it common practice for one of the builders to sign his work?
>

>PS -- this is my first rebuilding job and I'm loving every minute of it!

	Bernie,
		Congrats on tackling your first! Glad you like it. Lots of treasure can
be found under those keys.
		Yes, signatures were and to some extent, still very common. I've found
all kinds of names on keys, case parts, the back of plates, action rails,
and so on. I suspect that in most cases it's a q.c. person's dept. sign-off.
		I once did a square(yes, we're all young and stupid at one point) where
the decal had been removed and there was NOTHING besides a serial #
ANYwhere else on the piano. Well... turns out that another common practice
before the turn of the century was to use expensive letterhead-type
stationary, cards, inter-office stuff, etc., for shimms and punchings
because of quality or thickness. On this particular square, I pieced
together enough punchings to determine the manufacturer. Tedious, but worth
it. It taught me to look for the evidence in the least likely places.
Guy Nichols, RPT, chapter 799
nicho@lascruces.com