PIN DOPE!

Lorlin D. Barber ldb@commonlink.com
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 13:36:27 +0000 (GMT)

I have finally given in to applying pin dope to some lower quaility grands.
It was not my choice. The fault lies in the budget.

Thru the Nebrask P.T.G. chapter I got the formula. One pint of glycerin, one
pine of methyl alcohol, and three tablespoons of powdered pine resin.

This formula is dated (circa 1975) because the powdered pine resin and the
methyl alcohol (NOT rubbing alchohol - it contains water) are hard to come
by. Suppliers tell me that methyl alcohol is off the market due to
environmental rulings and few pharmacies, wood suppliers, hardware stores,
even nutritional outlets of herbs, etc. have ever heard of powdered pine
resin.

Does anyone know of a source of these ingredients! Are there supplimentary
elements? I know piano suppliers have pin dope, but I'd like to try my hand
at the concoction in order to have some sense of "craftsmanship".
Thanks for any response.

Lorlin Barber, RPT
Iowa State Music Dept.