Signature on Key

TunerJeff@aol.com TunerJeff@aol.com
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 16:38:58 -0500 (EST)

Dear Bernie,

     Yes, your piano was built in 1892. I confirmed the date by checking your
serial#  against the "Pierce Piano Atlas"... a book you might find useful to
own. Although it contains a few errors... it's the most complete listing of
serial numbers (and interesting useless trivia) that you'll find to help you
date a piano.

Pierce Piano Atlas
PO Box 20520
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87154-0520
(latest edition + shipping and handling= ~$30.00)
ISBN 0-911138-02-1

     Builders (or their workers) often dated or initialed pianos on key #1 or
key #88. I count  such notices as being MORE accurate than the Atlas, when I
find them. (Just don't confuse 'maker's marks' with the far more common
'tuner's marks' left by the last guy who serviced the instrument...60 or 70
years ago.). Dates can often be found on the action rail or pinblock, too.

Have fun!

Sincerely,
Jeffrey T. Hickey, RPT
Oregon Coast Piano Services
TunerJeff @ aol.com

ps- List-Folk,
              When I saw Jim Bryant's remarks, I assumed he was using VERY
heavy sarcasm. A few remarks on a mis-placed post or two doesn't seem to
justify the hoopla that followed. IMHO. (But... I can understand his
frustration with the self-imposed watchdogs who complained so loudly about
it.) COME BACK JIM!!!
Please?
jef