PIN DOPE!

Earl S. Dunlap, Jr. dunlapesjr@juno.com
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 22:48:01 -0800 (PST)

To:  Lorlin Barber
Iowa State Music Dept.

Methyl alcohol is also known as "wood alcohol" and it should be available
from a laboratory chemical supply company, e.g. Fisher Scientific or VWR.
 Your chem lab should have lots of catalogs.  I wouldn't be surprised if
you found the powdered pine resin or a liquid form of it from the same
source or one catering more to serving the microscopy field (the
microscopy lab?).  I believe it's used as a mounting medium under cover
glasses on microscope slides.  You might even take a stroll in the nearest pine forest; you could probably pick off enough  of the glassy ooze
for your use in short order.  If it's old enough, you won't have to dry
it, just power it with a hammer; if not, good luck or dry it somehow so
the fumes won't gag you or catch fire!

Earl S. Dunlap, Jr.
dunlapesjr@juno.com