PIN DOPE!

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 10:45:16 -0500 (EST)

If you check the archives, there was an extensive thread on this subject
about a year ago. It's worth reading. I think most technicians regard
doping a pinblock only as a measure-of-last-resort. In other words, if
you find yourself either buying, or mixing your own pin dope in quanti-
ties of a gallon or more, you probably should consider up-grading the
quality of the instruments on which you're working! :) Seriously, for
that hopefully rare situation where you have no option but to try dop-
ing the block, you might want to consider using a pin-tightener that
has withstood the test of time. Although there are a number of tradi-
tional-type solutions available, both slow and fast acting, the one
that appeared to be a almost universally endorsed was Garfield's Pin-
Block Restorer.  You have to thin it 50/50 with alcohol and wait a
week or so before you can either tune the piano, or apply a second
treatment, so it's not as fast-acting as some of the others, but
many techs swear by it, instead of at it! Read the archives and decide
for yourself. After you've applied the pin-tightener, and AFTER you've
let the piano set for a week or so, you might want to also consider
setting the pins a little deeper into the pinblock, assuming you
have enough room between the string-coil and the plate. Whatever you
decide to do, Good Luck! You may need it!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net