Teardrop Knuckle Question

Avery Todd atodd@UH.EDU
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 10:46:57 -0600

Les & list,

   Thanks for all your comments. I gave an estimate with a $150.00 range,
hoping I wouldn't lose "all" my shirt. If it had been a K & B, I probably
wouldn't have accepted the job. I just don't have the time to fool with
that one. I've already "been there, done that, don't want to again".
   So far, the Protek is working. The swings have decreased, but now
they're in a more normal range of around 6-7.

>I hope that you didn't tie yourself down by giving a firm estimate on
>this job. About the best thing that can be said about a 1938 Lester
>grand is that it isn't a Kranich & Bach! If those hammer, wippen and
>damper flanges are really sluggish, you'll probably find that using
>Protek (which I use and endorse, heartily) on them will only last un-
>til the check clears! In the end, you're probably going to have to re-
>pin. (Don't forget to check the jacks,too).

   She understands that it isn't a great piano and not worth spending a
"whole" lot of money on. All she wants is to have a decently playing
instrument for a few years and then she plans on upgrading.
   Maybe instead of "in tune", I should have said "up to pitch"? :-)
RE: decently playable, right now the dip is way too shallow, no aftertouch,
etc., etc. At least it can be improved.

>Then there's the matter of raising the customer's level of expecta-
>tions too high. You said that you were going to regulate the action,
>make the piano "decently playable" and "in tune". That's a tall order.
>Lester, itself, couldn't even promise that in 1938 when the piano was
>new! :)

   Who? Me? :-) But thanks. I appreciate it.

>Anyway, have fun! And if, while working on this one, you have to resort
>to using language you wouldn't want your mother to hear you saying,
>we'll all understand!
>
>Les Smith

Avery

P.S. One thing I forgot to mention that might be useful to someone else
down the line who might estimate a job like this, this piano has the
square shoulder type of capstans. Very difficult to regulate the hammer
blow, so I'm changing them out with a set of used capstans with the holes
in them. Strictly for my benefit.