damaged pinblocks?

Dave Sanderson pianobiz@juno.com
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 07:39:20 -0500 (EST)

>     So,  some loose pins may be due soap, or cracks, or lubricant
>seepage.
> Others are loose due to human error.
>
>Regards,
>Ed Foote

Human error is definitely a factor.  Well.....I have now learned a lot
about the many ways to mess up a tight pin.  I'll add one more, just for
the fun of it, which wouldn't explain Carol's problem, but it seems we
are onto the topic in general now.  We once found  one of the dowels
which Steinway uses to secure the pinblock to the shelf was put in the
wrong place.  It intersected with one of the low bass tuning pins, so
that half of the dowel became a pinblock.  That pin didn't hold very
well.  There you go... there's another way.
David Sanderson
Littleton, MA
Pianobiz@Juno.com