Chinese P3?

Paul Graeber pgraeber@1connect.com
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 09:37:19 -0800

Hello, list

As I understand it, to satisfy Taiwan's import-export laws and help a very
large unemployment problem, the components are shipped from Japan and
assembled in the "factory" in Taiwan. They are not supposed to leave the
country. The ones I have worked on looked just like your description.

At 08:40 AM 2/26/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Yesterday I tuned a Yamaha P3 for a Chinese family who just moved here from
>Taiwan, and brought their piano with them. This piano, to put it bluntly,
>looks terrible. The hammer moldings are brown, the damper rod is bent, keys
>are warped, tuning pin torque is not uniform, to name just a few of the
>problems. Even the finish is not what have seen on other P3's.
>
>The lady told me the piano was tuned and inspected just before they left
>Taiwan, but the problems I saw were not "moving" damage. Most of the problems
>are just bad manufacturing. I have seen some mainland China pianos, mostly
>from the Pearl River Factory, and this piano could fit right in.
>
>Does anyone know if Yamaha has a manufacturing plant in Taiwan, or mainland
>China? The serial number started with a T.
>
>Willem Blees  RPT
>St. Louis

  Paul Graeber Piano Service
  pgraeber@1connect.com
  San Jose, California

  The unknown still smiles
  Behind a hazy shadow.
  How to find it  Why?            "Sidney Harris"