Tuning Baldwin L

Biul@aol.com Biul@aol.com
Wed, 26 Feb 1997 20:20:34 -0500 (EST)

Gentlemen,
I tune several Baldwin grands - model L  and they all have a tick/click at
every
agraff as you begin to move the tuning pin. This tick/click sometimes can be
heard and sometimes can only be felt.

The string goes quite sharp as you flex the pin and hear the tick ( usually
this brings the string up to almost the correct pitch)

After the initial flexing of the pin and the tick or click as the string
breaks free at the agraff, the pin tunes normally.

My questions to you who experience this are :

1) How stable is the tuning if you flex the pins and the strings click up to
A440?
2) How long does it take for the tick/click to return?
3) What is the cause of this and why is it seemingly unique to Baldwin L?

I only get to see these pianos every 6 months or so and they seem to be
stable in most respects.

I also should add that my preferred method of tuning is to set the pins with
tuning lever technique rather than using a hard blow. When I initially flex
the pin toward the sharp side and hear the quick raise in pitch after the
tick/click, I flex the pin the opposite way to see if the pitch stays sharp
or drops past the correct point. If it drops then I turn the pin a notch to
bring the string up to enough sharp so I can settle it down to the right
spot.

My main concern is - I want to be sure that the tuning lasts as long as
possible and the piano sounds good for the most of the 6 months before it
gets serviced again.
Those of you who return to pianos more often may have better insight into
this

Thanks
Bill Carmichael  RPT
Memphis,Tn