Tuning Baldwin L

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:21:59 +0000

> Date:          Thu, 27 Feb 1997 11:03:05 -0500 (EST)
> From:          Biul@aol.com
> Subject:       Re: Tuning Baldwin L
> To:            pianotech@byu.edu

Take the plunge and buy some Protek.  With a dropper or such
lubricate along each wire passing over the understring
felt/cloth.  It will evaporate and at least you won't have
excess friction in that area...

ilvey, RPT (David Ilvedson)
Pacifica, CA

> The entire tick/click seems to come as the string breaks free ( I'm assuming
> this is at the agraff since I feel no resistance in the felt during continued
> manipulation of the pin, either raising or lowering the pitch.
>
> None of these pianos have extreemely tight tuning pins, although they are all
> very nicely firm with one exception.
>
> That piano had to have the plate removed (with string tension lowered) to
> reglue the soundboard to the rim because of a liquid spill sometime in it's
> history.
>
> Again, my main concern is to try and determine the best way to achieve a
> stable and lasting tuning. I am always tempted to simply jiggle the pins and
> let the piano "TUNE ITSELF".
>
> Jon  and  Keith,
> Will Dri-Slide with molybedenum work like Protek?

Isn't Dri-Slide graphite based?  I believe it would leave a
stain on the understring felt/cloth.