Soundboard cracks

MR RICHARD C BITTNER HXHP60A@prodigy.com
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:20:13, -0500

Rob writes,

What other gap filling - methods are used to to repair soundborad
cracks?

Rob I have been using a method for small soundboard cracks.  Once the
soundboard finish is off I put masking tape on the crack.  Then I
turn the piano over and fill the crack with CA glue  making sure the
ribs get extra attention.  I then shot it with the kicker and remove
the tape.  Then I turn the piano over and do the other side.  This
time I put the tape along side the crack for easy clean up and making
sure the glue does not go all over the soundboard.  I then use the
kicker and remove the tape carefully and scrape off the excess glue.
Some technicians prefer not using the kicker because CA glue dries
harder when you let it dry over night.
The color of the repair is brown and can be touched up to look like a
shim.  I prefer leaving it and I finish the soundboard like always.

Richard Bittner RPT

PS Rob I liked your article in the Journal