lubricants

Richard Moody remoody@easnetsd.com
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 10:26:35 -0600

> That piano had to have the plate removed (with string tension
lowered) to
> reglue the soundboard to the rim...

Quite a bit lowered, you don't wanna rip the bridge out. : )

> Will Dri-Slide with molybedenum work like Protek?

The molybedenum lubricant I saw was black in color.  Might not look
good on the  understring felts. However there is Slide-All Dry
Lubricant with teflon.    The teflon and silicon lubricants are
whitish, but dry nearly clear.  They seem though to be in spray cans,
(execpt Protek) which is hard to direct.  Over spray can be lethal
tuning pins and bass strings.
You don't want to find out for sure.
	Hmmm, on second thought perhaps the silicone lubes could be
benifical to bass strings.  After all they say the tonal loss is
caused by the string becomming stiff through the windings "locking
up".  But heed your high school chemistry.  The action of liquids on
two dissimilar metals causes electrolysis,  which has been known to
ruin bass strings in a couple of days.  Wiping the strings with cloth
treated with Endust might take a little longer.  A sneeze a little
longer still, depending... but that is getting into another thread.

Richard Moody