World Class Junk

Tue, 03 Jun 1997 13:01:13 -0700

Sam,

I found that the best way to tune one of those old Winters was to put one
knee under
an end of the keybed and lift up.

One at a time, of course.  Otherwise, the resulting tuning would have a
reversed stretch, narrow
fifths, and thirds way too wide.  And, as we all know, there's nothing
worse than a narrow fifth at
the end of a difficult tuning.

Worked for lost motion, too...

Best.

Horace

At 02:51 PM 6/3/97 -0400, you wrote:

><< When was the last time you heard a piano (saleman-jp) bragging
> >it sounded like a synthesizer?  Sam Grossner. Chicago.
>
> This is it  !!
>
> Your piano sounds like the early version of. . .'xxx'...
>
> Poor sampling, digital cross dressing, whatever . . .
>
> It sure beats the time I told the owner,
> "Tuning this is like hitting a stick on a chain link fence".
>
> Thanks Sam. >>
>
>Jon; Your welcome. Use it in good health. Mr Walters of Walters piano co.
>laughed when I told him that. I was trying to talk him into using aluminum
>harps. I actually had one cast to prove it to myself. Then I tuned a winter
>spinet with an Alcoa harp made during the war. I could have saved the
>trouble. But... I learned alot about manufacturing. Best, Sam G.

Horace Greeley

Stanford University
email: hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu
voice mail: 415.725.9062