Recrowning/bridge wedging

Jim pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU
Tue, 03 Jun 1997 13:28:28 -0700 (MST)

Hi Richard:

The idea of the Golden Gate Supension bridge is that a thin bridge can
be suspended by cables mounted from tall towers. My idea for a soundboard
was that instead of having a crown, the soundboard would be in tension
which is a tiny bit more analogous to the tuning fork on sprung spruce
board. I reasoned then that a longer bridge supported by tension would
be more stable that a crowned board. The board was laminated bass wood.
I was quite proud of my idea (Rippen pianos used it previously) because
the argument of the suspension bridge for vehicles with all of their
weight seemed to make sense to me when you consider all the downbearing
weight of piano strings. Unfortunately, a tensioned soundboard does not
help sustain like a compressed soundboard does. This tensioned sound-
board was introduced in the Conn C-42 scale and later was in the
Janssen pianos which were made by Conn. In the C48 scale which later
became the Walter W48 scale, the tension soundboard was abandoned and
solid spruce was again used under compression. That piano has good
sustain.

Jim Coleman, Sr.