Soundboards

Michael Wathen Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Wed, 4 Jun 1997 13:50:03 -0400 (EDT)

Here is a question that has bothered me for a long time.  I have no answer
but I am interested in what anyone might have to say about it.

It is generally believed that the bigger the piano the bigger and better the
sound. Similarly, the larger the soundboard surface the more capability for
better and bigger sound.

To my way of reasoning that can't be so.  Assume that a piano hammer can
give the same amount to energy to a string whether the piano is a petite
grand or a Imperial.
We all are clear now that the soundboard is not an amplifier.  That means we
have the same amount of potential energy in both size grands.  It would seem
that the piano with the bigger sound would use up all this potential energy
much quicker than the piano with the little sound.  This would mean that the
smaller piano would have much better sustain and the larger piano would
decay too quickly.  So why should a concert grand sound better?

Michael J. Wathen			Phone:	513-556-9565
Piano Technician			Fax:	513-556-3399
College-Consevatory of Music		Email:  Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
University of Cincinnati