Measurements Kawai please

Antares antares@EURONET.NL
Fri, 6 Jun 97 19:46:49 -0000

Dear All,

I would like to ask you the following:

What is the exact distance (in mm please!) between the middle of the centerpin of the whippen flange, and the middle of the centerpin of the hammer flange in a KAWAI grand?

I ask you this because I have been working on this instrument and the touch is extremely heavy.
What I did:
Checked all the centerpins, treated them with CLP
Checked the keys on the keyframe, treated the pins with McLube and enlarged the balance holes in the keys
Sprayed McLube on the repetition levers of all whippens (jacks are made of plastic)
Sprayed McLube on all repetition springs
Regulated the action
Tuned
Voiced

Measured downweight = 60 in bass and 57 in high treble
Measured upweight = ± 27-28

Hammers have normal shape and are standard
Hammertails have been modified already

And that's it.

I noticed that on this instrument it is not possible to move the whippen rail, it is fixed in place.
Nevertheless, just out of curiosity, I want to know the distance between the centerpins, because it seems that the whippens are positioned a little too much to the front.

Also, if anybody knows, I would like to have the following measurements (in mm please!):

Key height (measured from keybed to underside of key covering)
Downweight and upweight

I seem to remember that the Kawai is a R1 (?), but in any case it is ± 2,10 meters and 5 years old ( I did not measure).

Thanks in advance

Antares