Tool Problem

Thomas A. Sheehan aquinas@nyct.net
Fri, 6 Jun 1997 19:17:53 -0400

Elian -

I've been using the Reyburn Cyber Tuner that runs on a Mac Powerbook
computer. Among the many things that I like about it is its ability to
produce customized tunings for the specific piano that I am working on.

I realize that the SAT can do that too. My preference for RCT is that the
calculated piano tuning is derived from measurements of up to 6 of the A's
on the piano. In addition, the tuner can modify the stretch to suit their
own preference.

The user interface is very interesting and informative, and Dean Reyburn
continues to make improvements to it. CyberTuner 2.0 is going to be
completely awesome!

I have been able to program the tuning sequence that the CyberTuner uses to
help me set the Sanderson-Baldassin 2-octave temperament. I use the
Tremperer variation, which produces trial perfect 5ths 2 steps earlier in
the original pattern. The CyberTuner follows my aural tuning pattern
precisely. Thusly, I can tune "normally" - in sequence and playing
intervals - rather than tuning chromatically up the scale.

RCT also has an automatic note switcher, which is useful throughout most of
the keyboard's range. Also, the spinner display that indicates in or out of
tune can be programmed according to the user's preference for color and
amount of arc.

Please check out Dean Reyburn's website:

www.reyburn.com

for more information.

Best regards,

Tom Sheehan