String Storage

Warren Fisher fish@communique.net
Sun, 08 Jun 1997 00:33:37 -0700

Glen,

Oil is taboo on piano wire!  It dulls the sound of wound strings
permanently and collects dirt out of the air.  I don't know about wire,
but I still wouldn't use it for fear of getting oil on something else in
the piano.  It messes up felt really well!

I live in Louisiana, which is quite humid and we use surplus army
cartridge cases which have a good seal and we put silica gel in with the
wire to lower the humidity.  I like the wire from APSCO because of the
"ziplock" bags on each coil.  I also put each coil into a second bag for
long term storage.  I prefer APSCO'S wire cans for my "ready" set.  The
hole that the wire comes out of seems to allow good ventilation to keep
the wire dry without closing up moisture inside.  I still have to throw
away some  wire periodically, but that's the nature of the beast in this
area!

Hope this helps,

Warren

Glen_Deligdisch@sil.org wrote:

>      June 7, 1997
>
>      Dear List,
>
>      I am trying to figure out a good way to store my coils of piano wire
>      so that they don't rust before I can use them.

Home of The Humor List
Warren D. Fisher
fish@communique.net
Registered Piano Technician