hammers

Brent.Fischer@ASU.Edu Brent.Fischer@ASU.Edu
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 12:48:10 -0700

  Dear Ralph,

     The choice for me in all performance issues in the university mode
will be Steinway hammers on all high-end instruments for mostly Steinway,
Mason and Hamlin, and Baldwin pianos. For custom boring I suggest
sending them raw from the factory to Peter Collora in Dallas, Texas. His
workmanship is superb.

     Voicing principles to me simply start with a soft quality hammer
and juicing it up to the desired range without totally losing tonal control
in the softest ranges. I try to have customers imagine the sound difference
between a golf ball dropped six inches from above the  strings or a tennis
ball dropped the same way. Usually the client immediately relates to the
picture, so the way I see this sometimes overly rated voicing art is to
just take that tennis ball and harden it towards the golf ball level
without
losing its ability to always flex to the core.

====
Brent Fischer, Piano Technician
School of Music, Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona 85287-0405
602/965-6760 FAX 602/965-2659 Msg 602/965-3371
http://www.asu.edu/cfa/music/